Decrease Inflammation with Omega 3’s
Shared by Dr. Tim Dunn
This is a great recipe for a pan seared salmon and kale/apple salad and it is a nice healthy meal and a great way to get those essential omega 3’s our body needs. The salmon in this recipe is loaded with anywhere from 2000 mg’s to 4500 mg’s omega 3 fatty acids. It is recommended that we eat fish at least 2x per week if were trying to get our omega’s naturally. I love this recipe because it is simple and a healthy way to feel great and get those essentials we need. Your also getting your fruits and veggies as well with the apple/kale salad.
Omega 3 is made up of EPA and DHA is linked to healthy aging, healthy fetal development, cardiovascular function, and brain function. Omega 3’s are play a huge role in the cell membrane of every cell in the body and found allot in the brain and retina. They also play a large role in the prevention of many diseases such as cardiovascular disease and Alzheimer’s. Omega 3 is not produced in our bodies so we rely on our diet to get it. This is why recipes like this and proper supplementation is necessary to feed the body the nutrients it needs.
“Cardiovascular disease is the cause of 38% of all deaths in the United States, many of which are preventable”
“In a study that used human blood samples, EPA+DHA intake changed the expression of 1040 genes and resulted in a decreased expression of genes involved in inflammatory and atherogenesis-related pathways”
“EPA+DHA has been associated with a reduced risk of recurrent coronary artery events and sudden cardiac death after an acute myocardial infarction and a reduction in heart failure events”
“It is thought that both EPA and DHA improve plaque stability, decrease endothelial activation, and improve vascular permeability, thereby decreasing the chance of experiencing a cardiovascular event”
In summary omega 3 intake is very important and as we can see it all comes down eating well. Choosing smart recipes like this one is just one way we can make a healthy choice of what we are fueling our bodies with so that we can live the best lives we can. In our chiropractic clinic we always tell our patients to focus on moving well, eating well, and thinking well. These things will all contribute in decreasing inflammation and pain in the body. As always, we at the chiro health team are here to help and educate.
- Four 5 ounce salmon fillets (about 1-inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons organic olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed, leaves very thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup dates
- 1 apple
- 1/4 cup finely grated pecorino
- 3 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring salmon to room temperature 10 minutes before cooking.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the kale, toss to coat and let stand 10 minutes.
- While the kale stands, cut the dates into thin slivers and the apple into matchsticks. Add the dates, apples, cheese and almonds to the kale. Season with pepper, toss well and set aside.
- Sprinkle the salmon all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Raise the heat to medium-high. Place the salmon, skin-side up in the pan. Cook until golden brown on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn the fish over with a spatula, and cook until it feels firm to the touch, about 3 minutes more. Now its ready to serve!
Danielle Swanson, Robert Block, Shaker A. Mousa, Omega-3 Fatty Acids EPA and DHA: Health Benefits Throughout Life, Advances in Nutrition, Volume 3, Issue 1, January 2012, Pages 1–7, https://doi.org/10.3945/an.111.000893
We know how important it is to find a Chiropractor near you that you can trust. At our St. Louis Park location, near the corner of MN-100 S & Lake Rd./Westside Dr., our Chiropractors make sure our patients get the best understanding of their pain and their health. Our Doctors want to get you out of pain without medication, usual medical procedures or expensive surgeries. We also take the time to teach you how live a lifestyle that will keep you out of pain and Fight Inflammation with Fruits and Veggies in your green smoothie!